Go down
View user profile

Question and Suggestion - Installing both 0.5 and 0.6-beta

on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 pm
Hello all,

I LOVE Valentina and have been working with 0.5!  I'm also interested in beta testing 0.6, but I do not wish to replace my stable version 0.5.

My question is: can Valentina 0.6-beta be installed side-by-side with 0.5-stable?

I work with both UBUNTU LINUX 16.04 and WINDOWS 10.
On Ubuntu,  I can't find any information on whether valentina-dev PPA will replace valentina PPA.
On Windows, I read several months ago that 0.6 will replace 0.5, but I'm not sure if that has changed.

SUGGESTION:  Please add more information to the following line on the main website: "Test with latest test build. Download and run the lastest test build. Each package has a timestamp and will replace the last Valentina version available on your PC."

Right now, it's not clear if "replace the last Valentina version available on your PC" means the last beta version, or if it means it will replace all versions.

I think it would be very helpful to clarify that sentence to explicitly tell potential beta testers either that the test build will not affect previous stable versions, or to give them a clear warning that the test build will wipe out all previous versions, stable and beta.  Many potential beta testers will likely want to keep the stable version if they're doing any serious work with it.

Thank you for your attention!

Shawn
Admin
View user profilehttp://valentinaproject.forumotion.me

Re: Question and Suggestion - Installing both 0.5 and 0.6-beta

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:14 pm
Hi,

sacwpg wrote:My question is: can Valentina 0.6-beta be installed side-by-side with 0.5-stable?
Short answer is no. Installers were not designed to support this. There are still options for you: you can build source code yourself, you can use pre builded version (only for Windows and MacOS X) from Bintray.

Theoretically it should be easy to modify Windows installer to allow beta version side-by-side with stable. Only one place i cannot touch is settings file. They will use the same settings file. For somebody it will be even a cons.

As to Linux, there is no easy way to make this. I mean with common package systems. For this we need something like AppImage, Flatpak or Snap.

I have made two new issues. Cannot promise anything since i am busy with other stuff and personally use only test version. But i will be happy to include someone change and maintain it.

sacwpg wrote:SUGGESTION:  Please add more information to the following line on the main website: "Test with latest test build. Download and run the lastest test build. Each package has a timestamp and will replace the last Valentina version available on your PC."

Right now, it's not clear if "replace the last Valentina version available on your PC" means the last beta version, or if it means it will replace all versions.

Done. Thanks.
View user profile

on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 pm
Thank you for the prompt reply and update!

I'll pull out one of my old laptops to test 0.6 on. Smile

Sincerely,
Shawn
Admin
View user profilehttp://valentinaproject.forumotion.me

on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 pm
sacwpg, good news. I have found way to create a portable version for Windows! Test and say what do you think.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum